Monday 8 December 2008

"A Very Merry Christmas!" from HMRC

by Fiona Morrison

Well, I'm sure most of you have been through very similar. I reached a point today where I felt close to despair so went searching for people in a similar situation and found you guys and a lovely group on facebook too. It has helped me feel better already.

I have always been honest with the Tax Credits people - I believe it's the best way to be but I am wondering if it's made my situation worse. I had trundled along with the odd correction here and there and had paid back various 'miscalculations' over the years as my partner at the time was self-employed. Par for the course I thought. So, when my partner and I split up I let them know and thought - great, plain sailing from here.

Not true. I let them know the day he left. They told me I hadn't let them know till three days AFTER he left. I had to ring them to chase some promised paperwork you see. These three days, they later tell me, caused an overpayment of around £450. For 3 days I asked? Well, not actually true was the eventual answer I got - but due to the nature of the payments (two weeks in arrears and two weeks in advance) it meant that the payment I had received needed clawing back by them. Why didn't they say that in the first place? And why hadn't they noted the information the first time I told them? Their word against mine. So, I queried it and they said no dice. Pay us back!

In July 2007 they pay me an additional £700 odd quid days after my normal payment. I ring them the day I received the payment telling them that surely this MUST be a mistake. They say no it's not a mistake. I say, are you sure coz I don't want you asking for it back later. We are sure madam, you will not be asked for this back.

Christmas 2007 they ask for it back, and some more thrown on top for good measure.

I have pointed this out to them, they know I called them the day that payment went out but it seems to have made no difference whatsoever! My partner and I had a brief try at our relationship again but split after only a few months causing more changes. Guess what? You got it - apparently I owe them even more money. Some of it is a joint liability for myself and my ex. Have you contacted him I said. Yes madam we have contacted him. Today, they send a letter to him addressed here. I am guessing that they have NOT contacted him before now as they clearly do NOT have his address on their system. A bare-faced lie from someone? One of various over the years? Do they actually provide standardised training on their system to their staff? I tried about a month ago to dispute their claim again. I was told no dice, unless I had new information and that I had no right to appeal. Is that even legal????? So, I have decided, I am going to my MP in an attempt to kick up a fuss.

This is the second Christmas in a row they have asked me for a huge sum (last Christmas it was £1000, this year it's nearly £1500).

It concerns me that I am in this situation when all I have done is do what they have asked. The system is clearly not working. Although I have, and still do on occasion, feel close to despair, I am not going to lie down and take this. This system was set up to help us. Causing stress and increasing financial hardship is not help by anyone's definition.

I will update you as I progress my case. It's hard to find the strength sometimes as it really wears ya down (as I am sure you all know only too well!) but I'll be damned if I let this rubbish system get the better of me!

www.TaxCC.org

No comments: