Wednesday 8 October 2008

Are They Allowed To Terrorise Us?

by Peni.

We've had a difficult few weeks as my daughter has been quite ill (including a visit to GOSH); somebody ran into my car and the insurance company want to write it off - if they do I will be unable to work as I won't get enough back to replace it; we have also been trying to sort out a solution to our mounting debt problems, with our bank, etc.

However yesterday when I got home there was a strangely menacing answerphone message saying that I should call a number about an urgent personal/business matter. The message was only addressed at me (not my husband) no contact name or company name was included in the message. The number that was given (xxxxx xxxxxx) does not exist - I tried calling it. I have kept a recording of this message.

My answering service also retained the last number to call my home phone - a mobile number (xxxxx xxxxxx) and the timing of the message and the last number to call were the same (12:33pm). When I called the mobile number and asked who it was, she was reluctant to tell me until I said that her phone had called mine today. She eventually told me that she was from Inland Revenue, but would not give her name. The woman said that she was just around the corner and wanted to visit me at home now. I said that was not convenient and I asked her what it was about. She said that it was to do with the Tax Credit Overpayment and asked if she could come on Thursday, I said no. I told her that she had left the wrong number on my answer machine but she said that I was mistaken. (Both my husband and I listened to the message several times and we are right - she is wrong.) I also told her that I would not let her into my home, when she asked why, I said that I felt vulnerable and didn't want her in my home. I also said that I would not be prepared to meet with her until I had been given a copy of all of the personal data that they hold about me, including the telephone conversation that states we owe nothing, so that I can prove that I do not owe the money. (I've been repeatedly requesting this since 2005. So far we have lots of printed stuff, but only 1 telephone recording - notably NOT the one where we are told we owe nothing and it's all a mistake!!)

I was very calm and polite on the phone but I was really frightened and shaking afterwards. I've told my children not to answer the door - ever.

I've just seen a document online that says that they don't visit you unless they have repeatedly tried to contact you by phone and letter - which they have not. The last letter I had from them was 18 September 2008, telling me that they had refunded the overpaid tax to me (finally - 1 year overdue!!). Yesterday was the only time to my knowledge that they have tried to contact me since then - they have certainly left no other phone messages for me.

I don't feel safe. I feel that I'm being watched. I'm frightened to stay in and I'm frightened to go out. I can't stop shaking and feel very tearful.

Are they allowed to terrorise innocent people in their own homes like this?

I've written again to HMRC and my MP, Dr. Richard Taylor - useless as he has proved to be so far!!

www.TaxCC.org

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Shocking, thats awful peni, don't let those inland revenue twits ruin you.
They are what i call bullies, they make there minds up and whether it's fact or fiction they chase people for revenue.
Please do not let those horrid HMRC workers intimidate you.
I'm Rachel by the way, i am part of the core team of Tax credits Casualties.
If you need to talk, or need advice contact us through our taxcc email addresses.
We will do our best to help and advise you ok?
Stay strong